Today we released the July 2022 product reviews update. We'll update our ranking release history page when the rollout is complete: https://t.co/sQ5COfdNcb— Google Search Central (@googlesearchc) July 27, 2022
This update changes the way Google's algorithm ranks product reviews on different sites, focusing on rewarding high-quality product reviews which go in-depth and contain supporting files such as Images or videos. This is the fourth Google Product Reviews update released and It should take 2-3 weeks to complete the update.
Google has given some tips to help shoppers discover your reviews, those of which being:
- Evaluate the product from a user’s perspective
- Demonstrate that you are knowledgeable about the products reviewed. It could help to use expert terminology (e.g. if you are writing a product review for a washing machine then it will help to mention the strengths and weaknesses of each feature)
- Provide evidence such as visuals, audio, or other links of your own experience with the product. This is to support your expertise and reinforce the authenticity of your review.
- Share quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance.
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors
- Cover comparable products to consider, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances.
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product based on your own original research
- Describe how a product has evolved from previous models or releases to provide improvements, address issues or otherwise help users in making a purchase decision.
- Identify key decision-making factors for the product’s category and how the product performs in those areas (for example, a car review might determine that fuel economy, safety and handling are key decision-making factors and rate performance in those areas)
- Describe key choices in how a product has been designed and their effect on the users beyond what the manufacturer says.
- Include links to other useful resources (your own or from other sites) to help a reader make a decision.
- Consider including links to multiple sellers to give the reader the option to purchase from their merchant of choice.
- When recommending a product at the best overall or the best for a certain purpose, include why you consider that product is the best, with first-hand supporting evidence.
- Ensure there is enough useful content in your ranked lists for them to stand on their own, even if you choose to write separate in-depth single product reviews for each recommended product.
This update should not affect websites but when you look at your google reviews you should find that higher-quality reviews which can provide more information for a user will be shown first. This is great as it means people looking for a product will be able to get more information from reviews.